Well, nothing got done today. The late nighter I had yesterday made my entire day a bit difficult--I was dragging my feet all day and wishing I was asleep, but with 2 kiddos in the house, it is hard to go and take a nap...not unless I want to wake up to a floor full of chips, cheerios, and every other possible thing they can get their hands into.
But the day was not knitting/loom knitting free. The kiddos woke up to white fluffy snow and the first thing that came out of their mouths was a plea to play outside in the snow. I got them all dressed and ready but unprepared Mom didn't have any mittens (yeah, I could win the trophy for the most unprepared and worst mother in the world).
Wonderboy quickly suggested to sit down and knit them a pair of mittens. (he has this idea that I can sit and knit almost anything) I told him I didn't have any yarn (lies, lies, lies!). So off they went into the snow and they played, they came back 30 minutes later all frozen, despite the layers of clothes.
Then the mail came and with it a little special package with some lovely Knit Picks yarn, as soon as I opened it, Wonderboy screamed--Yay, yarn for my gloves!
To lazy to find a mitten pattern (needle knitted) to match the yarn and my gauge, I sat down and did the only natural thing--grabbed a loom and started circling away.
Although I have made mittens on a knitting loom before, I wanted to try a different approach--my previous approach consisted of making the little thumb tube separately but I didn't have a thumb loom around, so I tried a different approach.
Try 1: Done on the blue knifty knitter with short-row shaping for the top of the hand, little thumb is attached to the hand of the body and mattress stitched closed at the sides.
Verdict: Don't like: made the thumb too long. The overall body length and width fits Wonderboy though, so I may have to re-try this again--but in a different loom.
Try 2: Done on the Regular Gauge Mini-Wonderloom, top of the hand was shaped with decreasing at each side, just like you do on needles (divide the stitches in half, *k1, ssk, k to last 3 stitches, k2tog, k1, k1, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, knit next row, rep from *). I did a gather bind off, but I think on the next ones I will graft/kitchener stitch. This one fits little Benny...I will try it on her tomorrow morning when she wakes.
Verdict: Much better than the 1st try. The gauge is a lot tighter which makes for more insulation, more insulation means warm little hands, the shaping at the top also rocks. The pattern is definitely a keeper.
The thumb placement also seems to be better positioned than in the first try. Here is a closer look:
Now, I need to sit down and make a matching one for the last one I made and write down all the little details.
Once I have worked out all the kinks in the pattern, I will post it at LoomKnit and at DA in honor of the Dulaan project, stay tuned. If you have a Wonderloom and would like to test it out, drop me a note, I could use a test knitter or two :D.