This weekend, our Loomy Q &A day is on vacation and instead we bring you a small pattern to use for the upcoming holiday. It is nothing fancy, but added to a special project it will add a little extra.
The small lacey heart design will provide a great accent to any loom knitted item. Add it to a scarf, a dishcloth or even to a hat, whatever you do with it, it is sure to add a little something extra! You can easily add more than one heart motif to a scarf, you can even move its place around just make sure you have enough stitches to knit the entire chart repetition. A finer gauge knitting loom is recommended for this type of project. I used a fine gauge knitting loom with 40 pegs.
Knitting Loom: Fine Gauge Knitting Loom (peg spacing ¼” from center to center). Sample was knitted on a 40 peg fine gauge knitting loom by Décor Accents.
Yarn: DK weight. Amount depends on what your project will be. Sample was knit with Knit Picks Andean Silk (less than ½ a skein).
Notions: knitting tool, 2 stitch markers.
Gauge: 2 inches = 10sts and 13 rows
Size: Dishcloth size= 7.5” x 7.5”
- Knit stands for the knit stitch (done like an upside down purl).
- Knitted as a flat panel going around the loom in a clockwise direction.
- Lacey Heart instructions are provided charted and written.
How to notes:
yo: Move the loop from this peg to the next peg, peg is now empty. E-wrap the empty peg, when you knit the row, leave this peg as is.
k2tog: Knit until you reach the peg where you need the k2tog, move the loop from the previous peg to this peg. When knitting this peg, be sure to treat both loops as one.
ssk: Slip, slip knit: a decrease
Knit until you reach the peg where you need the ssk.
- Take the loop off this peg, hold it on your knitting tool.
- Take the loop off the next peg and place it on the previously vacated peg (from #1). Place the loop being held on the knitting tool on this peg. Peg should have 2 loops, next peg should be empty.
dlb dec: Central double decrease
- Locate the peg where you need the double decrease.
- Move the loop from the peg to the left to the peg from #1. Peg from #1 has 2 loops on it.
- Now move to the right and take that loop off the peg and place it on peg from #1.
- Center peg should have 3 loops on it. Treat the three loops as one. Pegs to the sides should be empty.
Garter Stitch Edging Instructions:
Row 1: knit
Row 2: purl
k = knit (knit stitch)
p = purl
ssk = slip, slip, knit
k2tog = knit 2 stitches together
dlb dec = Double decrease
yo = Yarn Over
Place stitch markers on pegs 23 & 35, starting on row 7, begin the Lacey Heart Instructions on these 13 pegs.
Cast on 40 pegs with the chain cast on method. At end of cast on, be sure your working yarn is at peg 1 (at far right to begin working the pattern).
Rows 1-4: Knit 2 repetitions of the Garter Stitch Edging.
Row 5: k
Row 6: p3, knit to last 3 stitches, p3
Row 7: knit to last 18 stitches, follow the Lacey Heart instructions in next 13 stitches, k3
Row 8: p3, knit to last 3 stitches, p3
Repeat Rows 7 & 8 until you reach the end of the chart instructions.
*Next row: p3, knit to last 3 stitches, p3
Next row: k*
Repeat from * to * until item reaches 4 rows less than desired length (here is where you can knit as many rows as you would like, if you want a scarf, keep knitting until item reaches the desired scarf length).
Last 4 rows: knit 2 repetitions of Garter Stitch Edging
Bind off with basic removal method.
Pattern available in PDF form, click here to get it. *Updated with a whole dishcloth chart*
And I leave you with this picture of my lovely Wonderboy--he is knitting a scarf for Mom in her favorite color--pink! Look aunt Becky--he is using the set of knitting looms you sent us :).