My Track Star Girl
Drop 13 Half Marathon

Utah Valley Marathon

UVM marathon

Second marathon of the year! We were so stoked. A group of friends were joining us and hubby and I were pacing the 4:10 group (so we thought!). We were ready and excited. We heard the course was mainly downhill so we were prepared for that downhill.

Morning of the race came and we went to bus load up no problem. We were given our shirts and our pacing sign. We were ready and happy. Took a wee nap on the bus and just chilled on the way up.

Up at the start line, our pacing captain said there was a problem and that the 3:30 pacer (the fastest pacer for the group) had not been able to make it. They wanted Sam (hubby) to pace it, which meant I would have been alone at 4:10. I hate pacing by myself-it gets quite boring as no one talks to you and if you need to use the bathroom, you are on your own, eek. But, I also knew I couldn't do the 3:30 with my bad ankle. It was a tough choice so we figured if I could help hubby with the first half, he could just take off for the last half and get the group in. So we went with it.

The race started and we were on track and had a few friends with us. We were enjoying the warm temperature and the nice terrain. We chatted and cheered people on. We were doing just peachy! But then, we started noticing that people were asking for bathrooms, we couldn't spot one at all. People kept dropping off from our group but we continued on. The rolling hils came and my ankle struggled up them but hubby was on pace. He was just a few paces ahead of me. I would catch him on the downhill and just drop off a bit on the uphill. We were doing great!

The half way mark was approaching we were jumping for joy at how well we were doing. But it was short lived. My hubby needed a bathroom badly, his guts were hurting from holding it, but not one bathroom came.  Finally, we saw a row of potties at the 13 mile marker. He went ahead and used the potty. I kept going with the group and with the help of our friend Josh, we continued on for the next 2 miles. Sam caught up to us and I gave him the sign and I dropped back to let my ankle rest up.

However, around mile 18, I saw hubby up ahead and realized that something was wrong. He was cramping. The heat of the day was catching up to him and no bathrooms around and he needed to use one (again). My ankle tendon wasn't doing too well either. I kept going with the pace sign but I knew that there was no way my ankle could handle the pace necessary to reach the time needed. I was bummed but still kept going.

Even with the pain of my tendon, I kept going and cheering those around. I had to walk a bit every now and then to allow my tendon to rest a bit.

I hobbled to the end :(. I seriously couldn't run by the end, I was more dragging my foot as I couldn't lift it. As I crossed the finish line, my good friends were there, Coach Don, Kev, and Josh and all three of them took me to the medical tent. They pampered me as they brought me drinks and food while the medics wrapped my ankle up. Bah humbug! Another marathon where my tendonitis got the best of me. But I still had a great time despite this.

I was able to see my friends, Bianca and Gloria, finish their marathon and by then the ice was doing its job on my tendon and I was feeling a bit better.

Finished in about 3:47...perhaps, I am just getting old and long are the days where I can finish in 3:30ish. Oh well, I still had a great time. It was a hot race, no porta-potties, and my tendonitis but still a great day for a race.  But the best race of all...the race I had to do to the hotel to use the bathroom...hahaha, I bet I was first place in that category!


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.